Personal Information I Collect
To fulfil your order, you must provide me with certain information (which you authorised Shopify to provide to me), such as your name, email address, postal address, payment information, and the details of the product that you’re ordering, including the hand measurements of the person for whom the guards are intended. You may also choose to provide me with additional personal information (for a custom order of thumb guard for example), if you contact me directly.
2. Why I Need Your Information and How I Use It
I rely on a number of legal bases to collect, use, and share your information, including:
• As needed to provide my services, such as when I use your information to fulfil your order, to settle disputes, or to provide customer support;
• When you have provided your affirmative consent, which you may revoke at any time, such as by signing up for my mailing list;
• If necessary to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law; and
• As necessary for the purpose of my legitimate interests, if those legitimate interests are not overridden by your rights or interests, such as ;
a) providing and improving my services. I use your information to provide the services you requested and in my legitimate interest to improve my services; and
3. Information Sharing and Disclosure
Information about my customers is important to my business. I share your personal information for very limited reasons and in limited circumstances, as follows:
Service providers. I engage certain trusted third parties to perform functions and provide services to my shop, such as delivery companies. ( We may disclose your name and address details to New Zealand post insofar as reasonably necessary for insurance and delivery purposes.
For overseas deliveries by courier we may use an alternative GDPR compliant service provider. In that instance you will be notified of the details of that courier service)
• I will share your personal information with these third parties, but only to the extent necessary to perform these services.
• Business transfers. If I sell or merge my business, I may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
• Compliance with laws. I may collect, use, retain, and share your information if I have a good faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to:
(a) respond to legal process or to government requests;
(b) enforce my agreements, terms and policies;
(c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or
(d) protect the rights, property, and safety of my customers, or others.
• Financial transactions relating to our business and services are handled by our payment services providers, Shopify and/or PayPal. We will share transaction data with our payment services providers only to the extent necessary for the purposes of processing your payments, refunding such payments and dealing with complaints and queries relating to such payments and refunds. You can find information about the payment services providers' privacy policies and practices at www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/ua/privacy-prev
4. Data Retention
We will retain your personal data as follows:
(a) Your name, address, email address and purchase details will be retained for a minimum period of five years following 31 January submission deadline of the relevant tax year, and for a maximum period of 6 years following 31 January submission deadline of the relevant tax year.
In some cases it is not possible for us to specify in advance the periods for which your personal data will be retained. In such cases, we will determine the period of retention based on the following criteria:
(a) the period of retention of your name, address, email address and purchase details will be determined based on further purchases made by yourself.
Notwithstanding the other provisions of this Section 4, we may retain your personal data where such retention is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which we are subject, or in order to protect your vital interests or the vital interests of another natural person.
5. Transfers of Personal Information Outside the EU
I may store and process your information through third-party hosting services in the US and other jurisdictions. As a result, I may transfer your personal information to a jurisdiction with different data protection and government surveillance laws than your jurisdiction. If I am deemed to transfer information about you outside of the EU, I rely on Privacy Shield as the legal basis for the transfer, as Google Cloud is Privacy Shield certified.
6. Your Rights
If you reside in certain territories, including the EU, you have a number of rights in relation to your personal information. While some of these rights apply generally, certain rights apply only in certain limited cases. I describe these rights below:
• Access. You may have the right to access and receive a copy of the personal information I hold about you by contacting me using the contact information below.
• Change, restrict, delete. You may also have rights to change, restrict my use of, or delete your personal information. Absent exceptional circumstances (like where I am required to store data for legal reasons) I will generally delete your personal information upon request.
• Object. You can object to (i) my processing of some of your information based on my legitimate interests and (ii) receiving marketing messages from me after providing your express consent to receive them. In such cases, I will delete your personal information unless I have compelling and legitimate grounds to continue using that information or if it is needed for legal reasons.
• Complain. If you reside in the EU and wish to raise a concern about my use of your information (and without prejudice to any other rights you may have), you have the right to do so with your local data protection authority.
7. California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), customers in California have the right to opt out of the sale of their data. https://thethumbguardstore.com/pages/ccpa-opt-out
How to Contact Me
For purposes of EU data protection law, I, Jayne Schembri, am the data controller of your personal information. If you have any questions or concerns, you may contact me at email@example.com Alternately, you may mail me at:
172 Southfield Drive, Lincoln 7608 New Zealand
*If you wish to access, correct or delete personal information held by Shopify, please send a request directly to Shopify.